[Web-SIG] Re: Just lost another one to Rails

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Tue Apr 19 17:53:05 CEST 2005

Hey,

Paul Boddie wrote:
[snip]
> What I'm advocating is this:
>
>   * That the community provides narrow/thin but *completely
>     separate* components/solutions which offer very well-defined
>     benefits - eg. Web APIs, templating systems, database access
>     layers. These things shouldn't be mixed up in the fundamental
>     system on the pretense of convenience.

>   * That documentation is produced to describe how one plugs these
>     things into each other and how one might go about integrating
>     other functionality into applications.

>   * That genuine solutions for certain styles of application may be
>     made, but not foisted on people from the lowest levels of any
>     given system. Some applications benefit from having .myapp on
>     the end of every Web resource, and by being able to write
>     "hello world" in a text file and have it pumped out dynamically
>     from the server; not all applications do, however.

This sounds good. I think it would be good if Python web frameworks
turned more into users of a cloud of focused, smaller, libraries and
mini-frameworks.

I've sighed a few times the last months when I ran into more and more
Python-based schema and form frameworks. I developed Formulator for Zope
2 pretty early on, and was involved in 2002 in setting up Zope 3's
schema framework, so I've contributed to the problem. In the Zope world
there's also Archetypes, and I heard Archetypes is now working on a new
generation which redesigns everything.. And I ran into Schevo and I saw
formencode, which both have a history too, and then finally what made me
sigh was running into a weblog post by Philip Eby on Spike. It all looks
all very cool, but how many more do we need here?

I believe that what we, framework developers, need is a bit more
humility ("We're open, you just all plug into our great solution!" is
not humble), and more active outreach to include pieces of other
frameworks. While we also need to do a bit of work of opening up the
neat bits of our frameworks to reuse by others, but that rather easily
turns into the non-humble "Use mine!", so I think what we really need to
do more of is the "Let's look for something to reuse!" variety of
outreach than the "look, I made mine real great!" outreach (we'll do the
latter automatically anyway :). I think Ian Bicking has been saying
similar things.

Zope has historically suffered from a sometimes massive lack of humility
in this respect, though I think my community is not the only one which
has been too interested in reinventing wheels. There have been various
attempts in the past to open things up, and I've chipping away at Zope
(3) a bit in my own way:

http://faassen.n--tree.net/blog/view/weblog/2005/04/15/0

More excitingly, recently there's been an absolutely great iniative by
others to integrate Zope 3 with Twisted using WSGI, and all kinds of
coolness may develop from that eventually.

Regards,

Martijn