[Web-SIG] Re: Just lost another one to Rails

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Tue Apr 19 17:56:36 CEST 2005

Greg Wilson wrote:
>  > Paul Boddie wrote:
>
>> ...I firmly believe in "unbundling" templating languages from frameworks.
>

> But doesn't that just make more work for the poor sods who are trying to
> build things?  After all, they have to rebundle them, don't they?

I think there's a difference between maintaining and developing
something separately and not physically distributing something together.

I agree that the Zope project, for instance, should be maintaining and
distributing the ZODB separately from Zope, as they have been doing for
some time now. But I certainly don't mind Zope shipping with right
version of the ZODB included and having to only install Zope.

If you really want to solve this, you'd end up with package management
systems with dependency resolution. Most linux distributions have this.

Let's not worry too much about physical distribution in this debate,
more about how web frameworks should be organized and how they should
relate to each other.

Regards,

Martijn