[Web-SIG] Re: Just lost another one to Rails

Greg Wilson gvwilson at cs.utoronto.ca
Wed Apr 27 16:16:39 CEST 2005

Well, here we all are, two weeks later, with no sign of convergence on a
solution.  The mailing list set up in the wake of Michelle Levesque's
"PyWebOff" talk at PyCon seems to have gone quiet; meanwhile, even
Nathan Torkington (of Perl Cookbook fame) is raving about Rails:

     Ruby on Rails is astounding. Using it is like watching a kung-fu
     movie, where a dozen bad-ass frameworks prepare to beat up the
     little newcomer only to be handed their asses in a variety of
     imaginative ways.
     (from http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2005/04/on_conferences.html)

So, as far as I can tell, the most credible Ruby-like initiative going
right now in the Python world is Subway:

     http://subway.python-hosting.com/

which combines SQLObject, Cheetah's templating, CherryPy, and a form
encoding package.  Anyone have anything better to offer?

Thanks,
Greg