[Web-SIG] Re: Just lost another one to Rails

Greg Wilson gvwilson at cs.utoronto.ca
Fri Apr 29 16:51:32 CEST 2005

 >>Greg Wilson wrote:
>>I think Ian Bicking or Michelle Levesque would be good choices for the
>>role...

> mike bayer wrote:
> Michelle is currently a computer science undergrad at the university of
> Toronto.  Are you saying all the people with many years of real-world
> experience building dynamic web applications and sites for the corporate
> world and the educational world should be forced to obey the technical
> direction of a college student with no professional experience ?

Greg Wilson wrote:
Nope, I didn't say that at all (and I don't think that putting words in
people's mouths helps this discussion at all).  This is open source: no
one can "force" anyone to do anything, not even Guido.  I mentioned Ian
and Michelle because they know the players, have worked with most of the
candidate systems, and have demonstrated that they're willing to listen
as well as talk; there are undoubtedly other people who could "play
Guido" just as well.

Thanks,
Greg

p.s. Ka-Ping Yee was "just an undergrad" when he started contributing to
Python; I don't remember anyone thinking that ought to disqualify him.