[Web-SIG] Re: Just lost another one to Rails

Shannon -jj Behrens jjinux at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 21:28:47 CEST 2005

At the last Bay Piggies meeting, as well as at PyCon, Guido felt
strongly that no Python Web application framework belonged in the
Python standard library for these reasons:

o The release schedule for such a library doesn't match the release
schedule of Python.  Imagine having to wait a year before an update to
the library came out?  That'd be unacceptible.
o Much of this is a matter of taste.
o There's no clear cut winner.

Zope and Twisted aren't a part of Python either, despite the fact that
they're wildly successful.  Perhaps it just doesn't make sense.

Best Regards,
-jj

On 4/29/05, Ian Bicking <ianb at colorstudy.com> wrote:
> Martijn Faassen wrote:
> > There are a ton of non-core XML frameworks around for Python, enjoying
> > considerate popularity. The python 'xml' package is not the "one true
> > way" to do XML with Python, and certainly doesn't enjoy anything near
> > the popularity and buzz of Ruby on Rails, say. I don't see why the
> > situation for any higher-level web framework should be different in this
> > respect.
>
> I think the standard library is difficult, because it mixes all sorts of
> things together.  I involves methodology -- very conservative, backward
> compatible, slow to improve -- which suggests that a package should be
> at a certain point in its life.  It also suggests applicability, that
> the package should be reasonably generic and not unduly complex.  And it
> encourages people to use it, either directly or indirectly, instead of
> alternatives.  All of these are important, but they are fairly separate.
>   mxDateTime would have been a very capable implementation of date-time
> objects, and was a de facto standard, but because of methodology
> conflicts that didn't happen (I assume because mxDateTime had to be
> released on a schedule determined by commercial concerns).  Wx is
> similar but even worse; there's no practical way I can imagine it going
> into the standard library, and it's not just inertia, but rather Tk
> actually *remains* ideal simply because it is largely dead.
>
> Generally the standard library is become much less practical way to move
> Python forward.  Backporting has to be extensive for the library to be
> viable to use.  Up-front design becomes burdensome -- I'm sure there was
> a lot of useful things that came out of the decimal discussion, but the
> whole process seemed odd and drawn-out from the outside.  Copied designs
> can shortcut this (e.g., logging), but lead to other design problems.
> And even as this happens, distributions are often pulling the standard
> library apart into pieces.  Batteries Included has certainly helped me
> as a developer, but it's not what I have my eyes on for the future.
>
> It would be nice if process and politics could be separated.  There's a
> lot of modules in the standard library that no one should use, even if
> they aren't marked "deprecated" -- there might be no reason for those
> modules to go away ever, but they just shouldn't get new users.
> Similarly there's modules not in the standard library that should be de
> facto standards, but for good reason can't be part of the standard
> library development process.  But there's no way to suggest that to
> people except for information question-and-answer sessions in IRC or
> mailing lists, or the the vague and unpredictable rankings of Google.
>
> "Politics" might be a bad name for this; it doesn't have to be
> contentious -- for instance, sgmllib has no hero who will be offended
> that people are steered away from it.  But I can't think of a better
> [...]

I have decided to switch to Gmail, but messages to my Yahoo account will
still get through.