[Web-SIG] and now for something completely different!

Rene Dudfield renesd at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 06:24:06 CEST 2005

Ok, here's my super list of wanted session features.

Multiple reader, single writer locking.  Or MVCC would be nice :)
Otherwise if you use it for multiple requests at once(as in with ajax
apps) everything slows way down.

Having in the api a way to say 'I am just opening this for reading'
would be really nice.  Then backends that can implement this
functionality can implement it.  Backends that can't can implement
locking however they want and ignore the read/write options passed.

Performance, and locking for session objects is quite hard to get
right if they are to be used by lots of different people, apps, and
frameworks.

Also having a specific close() method, rather than relying on garbage
collection is important.

Lazy opening of sessions is also good.  So if it isn't touched then
don't bother opening it.

Support for cookie based, and url based sessions is also very
important.  It is also important to be able to chose which method you
want to use.

Security features like ip address, and referer checking can probably
be implemented separately.  As well as only allowing a user to get a
session on one computer.  These are optional things, but should be
possible to do with whatever the session design is.

Allowing a single browser to have multiple sessions open at once would
also be good.  This way you can avoid name clashes when mixing
applications.  Or for having separate session configurations for
different parts of your application.  Eg.  database sessions for admin
section, and memory based ones for your front end.

Cheers.