[Web-SIG] and now for something completely different!

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Aug 16 00:52:35 CEST 2005

At 05:08 PM 8/15/2005 -0500, Ian Bicking wrote:
>Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>>Of course, I personally prefer to use whatever the application's storage
>>is for my session management, so I'll probably have little reason to get
>>involved in the "storage" side of the session equation.  Indeed, I'd
>>argue that applications that *don't* put their session data in the
>>application's main DB should have very very good reasons for doing so,
>>and I've never heard a good enough reason yet.  :)  Well, there's, "my
>>application's DB suxors", but that means you ought to upgrade the
>>application DB instead if you can.  :)
>
>There's useful reasons for non-application code to store things in the
>session, and the particulars of the application storage aren't really
>applicable.  For instance, with this pattern:
>http://blog.ianbicking.org/web-application-patterns-status-notification.html
>-- you put transient messages in the session.

If I needed to do what you're doing on that page, I'd probably just put the
message in a cookie, and reset it once it was used.  In other words, a
session isn't necessary just to have client-specific state, especially for
something so short-lived as that example.

>   But there's no point to using a fancy application session storage which
> means documentation and configuration and whatnot.  Maybe you have no
> impediments to throwing random data into your application data stores,
> but I do.

The reason I enforce this particular discipline is specifically to
*prevent* "random data" from being added *anywhere*.  A session object that
you can just throw any old data into is sloppy from my POV, because scaling
most session backend systems well is a hard problem.  If you are making a
small-scale quick-and-dirty system, okay, whatever, but in the
megahits/month range and up, I think session variable design needs to be
much more systematic to ensure it can be scaled.

Therefore, my philosophy is that every bit of client-specific state goes
either in the application DB, or it goes in the browser.  Anywhere
in-between the two is a liability from my perspective, because it
introduces a new tier that needs to be factored into design of the app's
transaction model, scaling and reliability plans, etc.  Ergo, there darn
well better be a really good reason for introducing that extra tier.  (And
you'll notice the existence of this tier produces exactly the problems

I know that it's "common wisdom" that sessions are supposed to be an
important thing to have, especially since ASP and PHP provide them out of
the box.  (And at least PHP lets you implement the storage however you
like!)  But I view sessions of that kind with roughly the same disdain as I
view Perl or Tcl's weak typing; they mask problems that I want to know
about.  I'm well aware that I'm in the minority on this point, but that
doesn't mean I'm not still right.  :)

(And I'm also aware that "scaling down" is important, but the rule that all
state goes either in the browser or the application DB scales down just as
well as it scales up.)