[Web-SIG] PasteDeploy 0.1

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Mon Aug 22 19:44:32 CEST 2005

Rene Dudfield wrote:
> Hey,
>
> a what is it good for/why use it section would be good on the web page.

Good point.  It's not a complete solution yet so I'm not sure exactly
how to describe it; but this is what I put for now:

Paste Deployment is a system for finding and configuring WSGI
applications and servers. For WSGI application consumers it provides a
single, simple function (loadapp) for loading a WSGI application from a
configuration file or a Python Egg. For WSGI application providers it
only asks for a single, simple entry point to your application, so that
application users don't need to be exposed to the implementation details
of your application.

The result is something a system administrator can install and manage
without knowing any Python, or the details of the WSGI application or
its container.

As an aside I've also added a couple features this morning to make the
common case of pipelining filters a bit easier to configure.

Hmm... it's also just occurred to me that filters should be easier to
define.  In almost all cases I find I want to curry the configuration so
it can be applied at the same time the wrapped application is passed in.
  I might add another protocol for that.