[Web-SIG] Sessions and Headers

Ben Bangert ben at groovie.org
Thu Dec 1 18:04:25 CET 2005

On Dec 1, 2005, at 9:08 AM, Timothy Soehnlin wrote:

> 	Okay, lets get down to business.  I am wondering if anyone knows of a
> framework independent Session library.  I am looking to bring a
> Session
> library into my framework, but everything I have found so far seems
> to be
> unnecessarily integrated with the frameworks.  And before I get all
> gung ho
> and go and right my own Session libraries, I was wondering if
> anyone knows of
> a library that I could use, and save myself some time.

Many frameworks session system's can be used completely independently
of the framework. Myghty's has been used in various scenarios partly
as it works without a problem in mod_python, WSGI, etc. and has a
consistent interface across any of the environments.

Ian Bicking wrote a WSGI session middleware module that handles
sessions completely independently of any framework, though I'm not
sure offhand how that'd work with mod_python.

I won't be surprised to see other framework authors offer advice on
how to use their respective session object outside of their
framework, as they're typically modular enough to function in this
manner. Most of them provide a dict-style interface, some use
attributes, etc. In the end, I think you'll have enough choices where
you can sift it out and find the one that works best for you.

Cheers,
Ben