[Web-SIG] Should system environment variables appear in a WSGI environ?

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Dec 21 20:17:07 CET 2005

The PEP describes CGI and WSGI ("wsgi.") environment variables that must
and should be included. It also describes a mechanism for the server to
add server-specific environment variables.  It doesn't explicitly say
that the server should not include other environment variables, such as
process environment variables.  It does say that all additional variables
it provides should be documented, which could be construed to mean that
it shouldn't add additional variables. :)

Would it be reasonable to say that a server should not include process
environment variables?

Zope currently exposes most of the environment it's given and I don't
want to expose process environment variables.  I'm wondering
if I need to cleanse the environment I'm given.

Jim