[Web-SIG] WSGI middleware library

Titus Brown titus at caltech.edu
Fri Feb 4 18:45:41 CET 2005

-> What do people think about collaborating on a kind of "standard" library
-> of WSGI middleware?

Hi, Ian,

ok, here's another response ;).

I slept on it a bit, and I would like to suggest one modification: make
it a cookbook of examples, rather than a library.

This implies that we don't need to have a standard naming scheme or a
common coding style to the components, and there can be redundancy --
multiple examples overlapping in functionality.  It also means that
there is room for "incomplete" solutions, which are IMO of great
value even just as stubs.  Such code can be isolated and used piecemeal,
independently of the rest of the library. And, finally, it means that
code can be designed strictly for functionality rather than for
extensibility.

I make this suggestion for two reasons: first of all, I'd be more
interested in contributing code to a cookbook than to a library,
for the above reasons.  And, secondly, my limited experience with
example code I've posted suggests that people are primarily interested
in a complete, functioning example that's isolated from other
code.

I do think a test harness (to make sure that the middleware is WSGI
compliant) and a documentation standard (reST?  In each directory?
or ...?) would be a good idea.

As immediate candidates for inclusion I suggest:

* a simple wsgi-passthrough middleware, that "handles" the data without
	modifying it.  (The idea is to provide hooks where I/O *can*
	be modified.)  Most of my time in wsgiComment was spent figuring
	out how to get that functionality.

* the CGI server from the PEP.

I can submit nicely formatted versions of these if you're interested in
proceeding immediately; I'd also be happy to host a Darcs repository for
the stuff ;).

cheers,
--titus