[Web-SIG] Standardized configuration

mike bayer mike_mp at zzzcomputing.com
Tue Jul 19 20:25:04 CEST 2005

While I'm not following every detail of this discussion, this line caught
my attention -

Ian Bicking said:
> Really, if you are building user-visible standard libraries, you are
> building a framework.

only because Fowler recently posted something that made me think about
this, where he distinguishes a "framework" as being something which
employs the "inversion of control" principle, as Paste does, versus a
"library" which does not:
http://martinfowler.com/bliki/InversionOfControl.html .

I know theres a lot of discussion over "A Framework ? Not a Framework?"
lately, largely in response to the recent meme "more frameworks == BAD"
that seems to be getting around these days; perhaps Fowler's distinction
is helpful...I hadn't thought of it that way before.