[Web-SIG] HTMLTemplate

aurora aurora00 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 07:26:41 CEST 2005

On 6/2/05, Ksenia Marasanova <ksenia at ksenia.nl> wrote:

> I used it quite a lot, and while it is fast, bugs free and simple to
> use, total separation of markup and code is IMHO contraproductive -
> every simple change mostly requires changing two files.
>
> --Ksenia

Is changing two files too much trouble? Anytime we add an abstraction
layer its a trade off. On one hand things are more structured and
presumably more adaptable to change. On the other hand it adds
complexity. Here on one end of the sprectrum we have highly structured
framework like Java struts. Adding one field may need a change to a
bean class, a form class, an action class, the template and perhaps a
few XML files. On the other end of the spectrum we have PHP where you
do everything in place. You just need to find you equilibrium on how
much is too much. (by the way didn't I just heard somebody scream
'they put the whole $%^* application code in PHP templates!!!' ;-)

Actually rather than editing two files, the biggest issue I encounter
is the presentation code is supposed to match the DOM tree. So anytime
you change the DOM you would have to change the structure of your code
as well. Again you have to make the call what works best. For me the
advantage of having a clean template is great while having to make
coordinated code changes is just a matter of life. If it is not
HTMLTemplate you'd probably have to do it for something else.

Wai Yip