[Web-SIG] DOM-based templating

Shannon -jj Behrens jjinux at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 19:31:25 CEST 2005

If you made Stan separate, I'd be very inclined to add any explicity
support for it necessary to Aquarium.  I think templatings engines are
a matter of opinion, and it'd be nice to share more code here.  Thanks
to Ksenia's hard work, Aquarium now supports WSGI.

I see a brighter future ahead of us all :)

Best Regards,
-jj

On 6/3/05, Donovan Preston <dp at ulaluma.com> wrote:

> On Jun 2, 2005, at 11:18 PM, Ian Bicking wrote:
>
> While we're on the topic of DOM-based templating...
>
> FormEncode has a module htmlfill
> (http://formencode.org/docs/htmlfill.html), which is
> basically like
> DOM-based templating that just knows about HTML forms.  But currently it
> doesn't use a DOM, it uses an HTMLParser subclass.  This makes it much
> more complex than it would otherwise be, and misses out on some
> potential performance gains -- many times the input to htmlfill will be
> output from a template or HTML generator, and so often the DOM from the
> template is serialized to text, then parsed again.
>
> I had thought about moving this to a DOM or DOM-ish thing of some sort,
> but I don't know which one.  Unfortunately many of the options are not
> very humane -- that is, they are "correct", but not user-friendly.
> Here's what I'd like, and maybe someone can suggest something (I won't
> claim HTMLParser is that humane either; but I'm looking to improve
> this).  Here's what I'd like:
>
> We've talked about this slightly before, but I think now more than ever stan
> can be that DOM. I don't think it would be too much work; it would mostly
> require removing assumptions that other nevow modules are available. I think
> stan could be broken out of nevow and into a standalone thing by pulling
> these modules:
>
> nevow.stan
> nevow.tags
> nevow.loaders
> nevow.context
>
> And the package:
>
> nevow.flat
>
> I'm willing to do the work, and I'm willing to remove assumptions it makes
> and refactor things until they are clean. The module which would require the
> most work is nevow.context -- an internal rendering implementation detail
> that Nevow makes explicit but I would want to hide from non-Nevow users of
> stan. nevow.context was the first module of nevow to be written, and has a
> bunch of crufty bad decisions that haven't yet been refactored out of
> existence. But I'd like to do it, and this would give me an excuse to.
>
> * Can parse HTML, not just XHTML.  Not the crazy HTML browsers parse,
> but unambiguous well-formed HTML.  I don't like the idea of putting the
> HTML through tidy; that's fine for a screen-scraper, but is way too
> defensive for this kind of thing.
>
> nevow.loaders.htmlfile does a good job of parsing normal html.
> nevow.loaders.xmlfile parses strict XHTML and allows more tag tricks, but I
> think casual users won't notice the difference, especially for the purpose
> you desire.
>
> * Can generate HTML.  This is probably easy to tack onto most systems,
> even if it isn't present now -- it's just a couple rules about how to
> serialize tags.
>
> HTML rather than XHTML? I'm curious what the motivation for this is, and if
> you know what the couple of rules would be. I think it wouldn't be too hard.

> [...]

I have decided to switch to Gmail, but messages to my Yahoo account will
still get through.