[Web-SIG] Daemon server management

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Thu Jun 9 20:26:17 CEST 2005

I asked this on the Paste list, but no opinions there... maybe someone
here has a thought on this...

Does anyone have opinions on how to start and stop daemon servers?  I've
added a --daemon option to paster serve, but I'd like to implement stop,
restart, and reload as well.  Whenever I encounter servers that clobber
pid files, or where the only way you can tell you've started a server
twice is that you get an error message about not being able to bind to
the port, it annoys me.  But I'm not sure how to best implement a better
system.  Especially cross-platform -- though an entirely separate
process for Windows might make sense (as a windows service or something).

Opinions?  Or examples of other servers (preferably Python-based) that
do this well?