[Web-SIG] Daemon server management

Rene Dudfield renesd at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 09:13:06 CEST 2005

This is a great idea!  It gets around the problem of broken modules
too.  If a module is updated on the live site, and it doesn't work for
whatever reason, then the old server is still around to serve
requests.

Keeping the old server around until it has finished its requests would
be good.  It would need to be told to stop handling new requests...
Like stop binding.  But then you still have a tiny window when they
switch over that requests may get a connection refused message?  Still
100% better than the kill/start method.

I'm interested in handing sockets over to child proccesses(without a
fork).  Not quite sure what the best way is for that though.  If you
find out please let me know :)

The similar idea that needs handing over sockets,  is for sending
files... you make a really tiny process that all it does is send a
file to a socket.  I've done something like this based on the httpd in
asmutils, that only takes up 12KB of memory per process.  It uses
linux clone(2) and sendfile(2) instead of fork, and read/write.  So it
is very platform specific(x86/linux).  It still has some bugs with
really high loads 1000+ concurrent connections.  I'm going to fix them
before adapting it for my python server use.  However it can do 1500+
req/s of 32KB files on linux/amd duron 850.  It can also serve 10000+
connections at once without the machine dying.

Here's the work in progress of the httpd part, if anyone is interested:
http://www.madecollective.com/~rene/httpd_sendfile.asm