[Web-SIG] A query for hosting providers

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Mon Mar 28 03:00:57 CEST 2005

michael bayer wrote:
> if you run multiple virtual hosts out of Apache, mod_python by default
> creates new subinterpreters, via Py_NewInterpreter, for each virtual
> host.  this can also be set up per apache directive, an arbitrary name,
> or within individual directories.
>
> although how well Py_NewInterpreter separates each interpreter from
> each other, I am less certain of....though Im sure a particular
> subinterpreter would have to have a pretty catastrophic failure (i.e.
> segfault or similar) to affect the parent and/or siblings.

One thing I've heard people mentioned is that, if multiple processors
really work well, it would be nice to have access to them from Python as
well as C.  Has anyone thought more deeply about that, and if it would
work well.  Could it be the basis of restricted execution environments
too?  Multiple interpreters seem like a hidden feature of Python, but
I'm not sure why... it seems like a useful capability.

--
Ian Bicking  /  ianb at colorstudy.com  / http://blog.ianbicking.org