[Web-SIG] Status of PEP 268

Maas-Maarten Zeeman mmzeeman at xs4all.nl
Sun May 1 10:20:25 CEST 2005

>>It looks like no one is interested in completing/implementing/finishing
>>this PEP. Is this the case?
>>

>I think that the urllib, urllib2, httplib modules (and so on) really need
>reviewing and a more coherent package structure introduced, possibly with
>more accessible classes for cases where one needs to change the default
>behaviour, especially in the simple cases. Perhaps there'll be a sprint at
>EuroPython around such things...

That sounds like a good idea. The http libraries are indeed lack
coherence. To list a couple of problems:

* httplib can do http 1.1, but no basic or digest authentication.
* urllib2 can do basic and digest authentication, although very
inefficiently, but no http 1.1.
* urllib2 does not know anything about http connections (I guess it was
build for http 1.0). This makes it hard to make extensions for
connection oriented authentication mechanisms like NTLM, Negotiate and
Kerberos.

A sprint would really help to get things into shape again.

Regards,

Maas