[Web-SIG] JavaScript libraries

Shannon -jj Behrens jjinux at gmail.com
Mon May 2 20:20:29 CEST 2005

It sure would be nice to have a common JavaScript library that we
could all share.  People are wanting this for Aquarium, but I really
don't want Aquarium to have its own JavaScript library.  It's too much
of a niche within a niche.  Do you guys think it'd be possible to use
the RoR one?  I've often talked with Donnovan about using LivePage
from Nevow.  Do you guys know of any other really solid JavaScript
libraries?

Thanks,
-jj

On 5/1/05, Ian Bicking <ianb at colorstudy.com> wrote:
> Greg Wilson wrote:
> > * AJAX support (I think Rails' most compelling feature may turn out to
> > be the fact that it does more AJAX straight out of the box than anything
> > else --- they're definitely going to ride that wave)
>
> My own take on this is that the web development community on the whole
> is still very uneducated when it comes to Ajax stuff, so it's
> intimidating.  Rails covers up a few details and provides some
> suggestions (e.g., a specific Javascript helper library), so it helps
> people get past the initial barriers.  But as Ajax becomes part of the
> normal web developer's toolkit, what Rails provides won't be that
> important.  I think things will change radically as actual Javascript
> developer communities start to come about -- right now they are uncommon
> and usually attached to other projects (like Rails or Nevow), but that's
> not driven by any technical issue, just by cultural issues (Javascript
> isn't the core skill for many developers).  I believe strongly that the
> future of Ajax needs to be backend-neutral.
>
> --
> Ian Bicking  /  ianb at colorstudy.com  / http://blog.ianbicking.org

I have decided to switch to Gmail, but messages to my Yahoo account will
still get through.