[Web-SIG] JavaScript libraries

Johnny deBris johnny at debris.demon.nl
Thu May 5 10:38:49 CEST 2005

Martijn Faassen wrote:

>I asked Infrae's resident Javascript guru (Guido Wesdorp), and he said
>he didn't know of such a advanced javascript forum. He had some
>discussions with other javascript hackers to set up such a thing, but
>they haven't done anything yet.

Let me explain a bit:

The last two years (or so) I've been hacking quite a lot of JavaScript.
I wrote a large part of the Kupu application, as well as a number of
libraries, of which some still need to be released (a SAX and DOM lib,
although still pretty crude, can be downloaded from my website already,
some other libs, such as a WebDAV library and a full DAV client, will
follow later).

Looking for patterns and base libraries, I have skimmed through quite a
few websites, but didn't find any 'real' open-source communities out
there, not even libraries or applications that have a larger set of
developers: most of what I found was either written by a company or were
one-person efforts. Also I didn't find a website where extensive
documentation can be found, or a place to meet other serious JS hackers
(apart from script-kiddies) or find proper open-source libs.

I think, to be honest, that a discussion board would not be enough to
really be helpful. What I would like to see would be something like SF
meets Python.org, but then for JS only, a place for developers to meet,
team up, find base libs, start a project and maintain it, but also for
users to find proper libs, search a repository, find docs about advanced
JS topics and such.

I've been discussing such an initiative with a couple of other JS
hackers, and they all seem interested, although obviously this will be a
lot of work to set up and maintain. Since we're all very busy people
(remember there's a lot to do for JS ;) we didn't actually get anything
going yet, but perhaps we should asap. Of course, a helping hand would
be greatly appreciated...

Cheers,

Guido