[Web-SIG] JavaScript libraries

Mike Orr mso at oz.net
Fri May 6 06:53:40 CEST 2005

Carlos Ribeiro wrote:

>Hi guys,
>

>Javascript seems to be everyone's little dirty secret. Everyone uses,
>most people don't like it. Some (like me) dislike it for no other
>reason than being another language that I have to use. Some others
>dislike it for being named Javasomething (which is indeed something
>very strange).

It appeared during Java's intial wave of hype.  Netscape named it that
to ensure rapid acceptance of the language.  In other words, by latching
onto Java's coattails it avoided the need to prove itself on its own.

Wikipedia talks a bit about its original name.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Javascript