[Web-SIG] [Fwd: Summer of Code preparation]

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Mon Apr 17 21:54:38 CEST 2006

Bill Janssen wrote:
> Ian,
>
> It's getting very hard to do good Web-page-understanding without a
> javascript interpreter.  Ideally, this would execute in a Python
> context so that each Javascript call (or statement, or expression
> evaluation) could invoke Python code to do introspection over the
> activity.

Do you mean like implementing the DOM in Python, and providing DOM
objects to Javascript?  Or actually watching the Javascript execute at
some level?  Providing Python objects seems like a kind of bare minimum
usefulness, and must already be possible at some level in current
Javascript implementations.  Actually watching the program runs seems
harder, and depends on the particulars of the Javascript interpreter
that you are embedding.  Though I'd guess that already exists to some
degree as well, because for instance in current interpreters you can
limit the amount of time the Javascript is given to execute.