[Web-SIG] [Fwd: Summer of Code preparation]

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Tue Apr 18 18:06:02 CEST 2006

Alan Kennedy wrote:
> [Titus Brown]
>
>>I'm thinking of proposing a project to build a JavaScript interpreter
>>interface for Python; the goal (for me) is to get twill/mechanize to
>>understand JavaScript.  I think the project has wider applications,
>>but I'm not sure what people actually want to do with JavaScript.
>>I could imagine server-side parsing of javascript, and/or integration of
>>javascript and python code.  Thoughts?
>

> Have you looked at WebCleaner? WebCleaner is a filtering HTTP proxy,
> written in python.
>
> http://webcleaner.sourceforge.net/

And the work just disappears... anyway, I downloaded it, and it does
seem to include a Javascript interpreter.  Couldn't get it to build
under Python 2.4, but maybe my headers are messed up on this machine or
something.  Definitely something to look into.

> Perhaps webcleaner has code that already does what you need? Although
> the GPL licensing might be problematic.

Assuming that the bindings were written for webcleaner, the author might
be willing to change the license just on that part (if the JS bindings
were also extracted from webcleaner).  Or maybe they came from somewhere
else originally.