[Web-SIG] [Python-Dev] Adding wsgiref to stdlib

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sat Apr 29 01:48:58 CEST 2006

At 05:47 PM 4/28/2006 -0500, Ian Bicking wrote:
>It will still be only a couple lines less than prefix matching.

That's beside the point.  Prefix matching is inherently a more complex
concept, and more likely to be confusing, without introducing much in the
way of new features.  If I want to dispatch /foo/bar, why not just use:

     AppMap(foo=AppMap(bar=whatever))

So, I don't see prefix matching as introducing anything that's worth the
extra complexity.  If somebody needs a high-performance prefix matcher,
they can get yours from Paste.

If I was going to include a more sophisticated dispatcher, I'd add an
ordered regular expression dispatcher, since that would support use cases
that the simple or prefix dispatchers would not, but it would also support
the prefix cases without nesting.

>Another issue with your implementation is the use of keyword arguments for
>the path mappings, even though path mappings have no association with
>keyword arguments or valid Python identifiers.

That was for brevity; it should probably also take a mapping argument.