[Web-SIG] WSGI & CGI spec

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Dec 20 01:19:45 CET 2006

At 03:36 PM 12/19/2006 -0800, Jason Kirtland wrote:
>To my reading, PEP 333 implies that a server should plop the
>Request-URI into PATH_INFO, and it should store it there
>unmolested.

That's only the case if the address of the application is the root of the
server, and then only if the request URI is a path, rather than an absolute
URI.

Note that a CGI-to-WSGI or FastCGI-to-WSGI gateway (or a piece of routing
middleware) will have a SCRIPT_NAME that designates the location of the
target application.  Your reading, in other words, is overly narrow, as it
applies only to origin servers where the WSGI application represents the
server's root URI, and thus have an empty SCRIPT_NAME.