[Web-SIG] WSGI & CGI spec

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Dec 20 01:55:30 CET 2006

At 04:50 PM 12/19/2006 -0800, Jason Kirtland wrote:
>Phillip wrote:
> > At 03:36 PM 12/19/2006 -0800, Jason Kirtland wrote:
> >> To my reading, PEP 333 implies that a server should plop the
> >> Request-URI into PATH_INFO, and it should store it there
> >> unmolested.
> >
> > That's only the case if the address of the application is the
> > root of the server, and then only if the request URI is a path,
> > rather than an absolute URI.
>
>What would a server do with an absolute URI vs. abs_path, if not
>place it in PATH_INFO?  Or '*', for that matter?

My understanding is that an absolute URI is equivalent to issuing the same
request with e.g. a 'Host:' header, and should result in equivalent results
in terms of environment variables.  That is, my understanding is that
PATH_INFO should *never* contain a URI, rather than a path, and everything
PEP 333 says about the environment variables is predicated upon that
assumption.