[Web-SIG] WSGI in standard library

Robert Brewer fumanchu at amor.org
Tue Feb 14 22:09:00 CET 2006

Alan Kennedy wrote:
> 3. If I had to pick one of the 3 you suggested, I'd pick the
> last one, i.e. PJE's, because it fulfills exactly the criteria
> I listed
>
>   - It's pretty much the simplest possible implementation,
> meaning it's easiest to understand.

I have to disagree (having examined/unraveled it quite a bit recently,
to remove modpython_gateway's dependency on it). The server class seems
simple enough, but the handlers module is IMO horribly convoluted,
mostly to support too many options: async vs. threaded, origin and
non-origin servers, various HTTP versions, file sending hooks, etc.
There are simply too many variables involved in building a WSGI handler
appropriate for your environment; trying to do that by subclassing
wsgiref.handlers.* results in extremely complicated and slow code.

Robert Brewer
System Architect
Amor Ministries
fumanchu at amor.org