[Web-SIG] ANN: Python Paste 0.4
ianb at colorstudy.com
Mon Jan 9 07:45:26 CET 2006
I'm pleased to announce the 0.4 release of the Paste Suite: Paste
core, Script, Deploy, and WebKit.
(or just use easy_install!)
Mailing list, etc:
This release brings bugfixes and new code. Thanks to Clark Evans for
many of the contributions, and to Ben Bangert for giving this project
more exercise. A quick overview:
* A new exception-catching middleware (evalexception) for interactive
debugging, including through-the-browser execution of Python code in
the context of a traceback.
* A paste.auth package for authentication/identification, including
HTTP Basic/Digest, cookies, CAS (single-signon), and OpenID (another
* Many added improvements and conveniences for people working on the
HTTP level, in the httpexceptions, httpheaders, fileapp modules.
* Moving modules around to make the layout more logical (old imports
are supported with warnings).
* Paste Script has experimental new commands to install and setup web
applications. Also improvements to the command-line interaction.
* Paste Deploy and WebKit are largely maintenance releases.
What Is It?
Paste is a set of tools for building web applications and frameworks
using WSGI. All the pieces are framework-neutral, and facilitate both
high-level (non-leaky) abstractions built on top of them (frameworks)
and low-level access to raw WSGI/HTTP.
Paste Deploy is a way to configure WSGI applications and application
stacks using Egg plugin facilities and a simple configuration file.
It offers uniformity to web application deployment and configuration.
Paste Script is a pluggable frontend for managing projects, and for
serving up web applications using Paste Deploy and pluggable WSGI
Paste WebKit is an implementation of Webware/WebKit using WSGI and
the tools in Paste.
Ian Bicking | ianb at colorstudy.com | http://blog.ianbicking.org
More information about the Web-SIG