[Web-SIG] Standardized template API

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Tue Jan 31 16:30:43 CET 2006

Jim Fulton wrote:
>>I think a lot of web frameworks and applications are using a template
>>engine. We should probably have an officially sanctioned templating
>>engine plugin API, as it would ease adoption of existing Python web
>>framework solutions.
>>
>>I think all it would take is a Web-Sig (and perhaps a PEP) blessing the
>>TurboGears template engine plugin API [1].
>>
>>Thoughts?
>

> Different frameworks will have very different ways of handling templates.
> I don't think there is a standard way to do this and I don't think it
> would be appropriate for the web-sig to try to pick one.

Right now there is a significant intersection of templates and
frameworks where this applies, but that intersection is not
all-encompassing.  This interface will only work for template languages
that are given some dictionary of values and have internal logic to
render that.  This includes most current Python templating languages,
but does not include templates like PyMeld (and derivatives) which are
just structures manipulated from the outside, or templates like Nevow
that are based on callbacks.

Just because there is a standard doesn't mean anyone has to use it.  I
don't see why every standard has to satisfy everyone; if 50% of people
use a standard instead of using framework-specific ad hoc interfaces,
that's useful enough.  Especially a standard like this which doesn't
imply much of any logic, it's just something you use.

--
Ian Bicking  |  ianb at colorstudy.com  |  http://blog.ianbicking.org