[Web-SIG] Standardized template API

Peter Hunt floydophone at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 20:36:58 CET 2006

On 1/31/06, Robert Brewer <fumanchu at amor.org> wrote:

> That's true, but I'd caution that "it's just something you use" hides a
> mountain of difficulties. A standard like WSGI can be relatively free in
> its interface design (in order to meet a host of specialized needs),
> because it has a limited user group. A template standard, in contrast,
> will need much more attention paid to "ease of use", which will
> constrain its interface design.

The user group of a standardized template API would be a framework author.
Different frameworks would still access their templating engines in
different ways, but with a standardized template engine API, you'd be able
to plug different templating engines (i.e. django, cheetah, kid, zpt, psp)
into different frameworks, and have it Just Work.

Peter Hunt