[Web-SIG] Standardized template API

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Jan 31 20:59:43 CET 2006

At 02:03 PM 1/31/2006 -0500, Clark C. Evans wrote:
>I'd stick with the notion of a "template_name" that is neither the
>template file nor the template body.  Then you'd want a template factory
>method that takes the name and produces the template body (complied if
>necessary).  This needs to be once indirect since a template may refer
>to other sub-templates. This way your template could be stored
>in-memory, on-disk, or in a database, or even remotely using an HTTP
>cashe.  The actual storage mechanism for the template source code should
>not be part of this interface.

I'd go even further than this, to note that frameworks need to be able to
cache "compiled" versions of templates.  The template "engine" should be
able to return a "compiled" template that the framework can use to do
rendering in future.

Note too that frameworks such as Zope 3 and peak.web have concepts like
localization and "skinning" that require the ability to switch out the
actual provider of a named template or "view", and in at least the case of
peak.web this can be polymorphic.  That is, one "skin" could implement
template "foo" using Kid and another one using ZPT.  So the name of a
template needs to be independent of its implementation language, or the
ability to plug in different engines is moot.  (Currently, TurboGears
embeds the chosen template language in code, which means a deployer can't
skin the application effectively.)

Finally, I'd note that an increasingly common use case for template storage
is likely to be via pkg_resources lookup, so that applications can be
deployed as eggs.  Ideally, future versions of Zope 3 and peak.web would
perhaps allow one egg to provide skins or "layers" for views defined in
other eggs, so that users can plug in third-party skins for applications.

Actually, if we're going to come up with something really useful here, it
would probably be a good idea to expand the scope from just defining
templates, to defining a "resource access" protocol to cover both static
resource files and templates that may need to be localized or
skinned.  That would be a much bigger win, IMO, since it would put more
control in the hands of deployers and customizers, instead of just making
it possible for developers to use whatever template language they fancy.  :)