[Web-SIG] [Python-Dev] Adding wsgiref to stdlib

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue May 2 16:39:22 CEST 2006

On 5/2/06, Sylvain Hellegouarch <sh at defuze.org> wrote:
> I've been following the discussion around adding wsgiref to the stdlib and
> it sounds like a very good idea. However I'm a little concerned as it
> seems only wsgiref has been suggested to be included. I wonder if you guys
> intend to review other implementations before going ahead? I ask this
> because the simple_server.py module of wsgiref says:
>
> """It has not been reviewed for security issues,
> however, and we strongly recommend that you use a "real" web server for
> production use.
> """
>
> Therefore, I wonder what is the final purpose of such addition? Is it
> merely to have default WSGI implementation that *might* not be scalable in
> production?
>
> I have nothing against wsgiref mind you. I'm fairly sure Phillip has done
> a great job but I simply wanted to know if you would consider checking
> other implemetations.

Anything that could be considered of sufficiently industrial strength
to be secure and scalable in production would necessarily be such a
large project, such a complex code base, and have such  different
release cycle that it would not make a good standard library
candidate. (Think mod_python, Twisted, Zope, Apache; think tail
wagging the doc.)