[Web-SIG] Specification process

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Wed Nov 1 18:20:12 CET 2006

So I've got a couple specs out there that build on WSGI, and hopefully
other people will be introducing more.  These specs are (or should be)
fairly light and optional, suggesting useful compatibilities between
WSGI components rather than anything that changes WSGI itself.  So I
don't think we need a very heavy process, but we need some process.

Does anyone have a suggestion?  A timespan plus a quorum (minimum number
of people that have to provide input or interest) plus some notion of
"acceptance"?  This isn't a big group, so maybe just consensus for now,
which doesn't mean everyone has to support a spec, but only that there
is support and no one blocks the spec.  (Where blocking vs. having
reservations is kind of like -1 vs -0 in our Python voting conventions.)

Like I said, I don't want to make this a big complicated process, I just
want to avoid a totally ambiguous process.  People are always free to
ignore these specifications, so it's really just as much a matter of
getting a couple people to agree on some useful compatibility, and not
everything has to be universally applicable or useful.