[Web-SIG] New spec: throw_errors

Robert Brewer fumanchu at amor.org
Tue Nov 14 19:03:11 CET 2006

Ian Bicking wrote:
>    http://wsgi.org/wsgi/Specifications/throw_errors
> Problems
> --------
>
> * In theory an application may know better how to format an error
> response than the middleware exception catcher.  Of course, an
> application can ignore ``x-wsgiorg.throw_errors`` if it thinks it is
> best (or if it has been explicitly configured to do so).

I'm not sure I see the benefits of declaring this in the WSGI environ.
If you're already conceding that each consumer of this may be configured
to ignore it, that's duplicated effort. That is, instead of having a
simple configuration item per app:

    throw_errors = True

...I now have to present the deployer with a more-confusing and more
tightly-coupled option:

    ignore_wsgiorg_throw_errors = True

If both the protocol and my app's API are now more complicated, what
have we gained?

Robert Brewer
System Architect
Amor Ministries