[Web-SIG] wsgi.url_vars feedback

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Oct 31 23:48:01 CET 2006

At 04:17 PM 10/31/2006 -0600, Ian Bicking wrote:
>One little question: if a dispatcher can never produce one of the kinds of
>information (which happens for some of them), should they put in an empty
>list/tuple or empty dict, or should they put in None for that item?  I'm
>currently saying they must put in a list/tuple or dict.

This is the correct choice, IMO.  I think the spec should be explicit,
however, that these values should be usable with * and ** (or apply()), as
that will help clarify the meaning/rationale of the values.

>Anyway, I've updated the spec:
>
>http://wsgi.org/wsgi/Specifications/url_vars
>http://wsgi.org/wsgi/Specifications/url_vars?action=diff
>
>Is everyone happy with this version?

I still think it should be url_args rather than url_vars -- I don't see any
reason why they could be considered "variables" rather than
arguments.  :)  But other than that, and the desire to see clarification
about */** as an intended/supported use case, I give it a +1.