[Web-SIG] WSGI 2.0

Graham Dumpleton graham.dumpleton at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 09:39:40 CEST 2007

On 06/04/07, James Y Knight <foom at fuhm.net> wrote:

> On Apr 5, 2007, at 10:08 PM, Graham Dumpleton wrote:
> > FWIW, in mod_wsgi I have now added a directive which allows one to
> > enable within a specific context that chunked transfer encoding should
> > be used for a response when a HTTP/1.1 client is being used. Thus, if
> > you know the content generated from a resource at a particular URL
> > within your application would benefit from chunked transfer encoding
> > on the response, you could use:
> >
> >   <Location /mysite/some/resource>
> >   WSGIOutputChunking On
> >   </Location>
> >
> > At this stage is probably better than nothing given that WSGI doesn't
> > provide a way of enabling it.
>
> What's the point of a switch? If the app didn't provide a content-
> length, and you can't otherwise determine a content-length (because
> for example the result is a simple list of strings), just do chunked
> encoding output automatically.

Okay, I'll freely admit I have been an arse over this issue. Apache
does do what you expect but because of disabling lots of my Apache
configuration at one point when doing some debugging, I managed to
comment out a file that specified the KeepAlive option being set to
On. As a result my Apache installation wasn't doing what you figure it
should unless I enabled chunking from within the code. Lesson learned.

Graham