[Web-SIG] WSGI, Python 3 and Unicode

James Y Knight foom at fuhm.net
Sat Dec 8 00:18:58 CET 2007

On Dec 7, 2007, at 5:46 PM, Andrew Clover wrote:
> OTOH making the dictionaries reflect the underlying OS's conception of
> environment variables means users of os.environ and WSGI will have
> to be
> able to cope with both bytes and unicode, which would also be a big
> annoyance.
>
> In summary: urgh, this is all messy and 'orrible.

I suppose this is more a question for python-dev, but, it'd be really
nice if Python on Windows made it look like the windows system
encoding was always UTF-8. That is, bytestrings used for open/
os.environ/argv/etc. are always encoded/decoded in utf-8, not the
broken-platform-encoding. Then the same code would work just as well
on unix as it does on windows.

Actually, I bet I could implement that today, just by wrapping some
stuff....hmmm...

James