[Web-SIG] HTTP_CONTENT_TYPE and HTTP_CONTENT_LENGTH

Manlio Perillo manlio_perillo at libero.it
Wed Dec 12 22:29:26 CET 2007

Ian Bicking ha scritto:
> Manlio Perillo wrote:
> [...]
>> P.S.: I'm reading the cgi module and it only uses argv[1]:
>>       if sys.argv[1:]:
>>           qs = sys.argv[1]
>>
>>       I'm not sure to understand.
>>
>>       Moreover in mod_wsgi for nginx, I call PySys_SetArgv, so the WSGI
>>       application sees the command line options passed to nginx.
>
> I don't know *why* cgi does this, but as you can imagine it's weird and
> unhelpful when it does.

CGI says:
Scripts SHOULD check to see if the QUERY_STRING value contains an
unencoded "=" character, and SHOULD NOT use the command line arguments
if it does.

So a CGI script *can* use the command line arguments even if
QUERY_STRING is in environment (this seems to be really a mess).

What I don't understand is why the cgi module just use argv[1] instead
of all the command line arguments.

 > [...]

Manlio Perillo