[Web-SIG] app iterable containing non-strings

Adam Atlas adam at atlas.st
Sun Dec 16 07:22:03 CET 2007

The spec says "Regardless of how it is accomplished, the application
object must always return an iterable yielding zero or more strings."
The "must" means that anything else should be considered an error (I
think). If your middleware does anything to the iterated strings, then
you'll have to catch non-strings and raise the error yourself, but
otherwise, it's not your middleware's business, and I'd say it should
be left to the gateway (or any other lower point in the WSGI stack
that happens to notice it).