[Web-SIG] serving (potentially large) files through wsgi?

Manlio Perillo manlio_perillo at libero.it
Mon Dec 17 21:06:45 CET 2007

Phillip J. Eby ha scritto:
> At 07:33 PM 12/17/2007 +0100, Manlio Perillo wrote:
> [...]
>
> And it's also irrelevant: WSGI applications are composable, which means
> that not only does the application deployer not necessarily have any
> idea what the application does, the *author* might not know every
> detail, either (due to using other libraries, components, and middleware).

Not sure.

The configuration is part of the application.
The deployer can ignore what the application does, but can not use a
generic server configuration.

As an example, for a WSGI gateway implementation embedded in a web
server and with support for multiple sub interpreter, the deployer can't
just configure the gateway so that an application is executed in a sub
interpreter without first knowing if the application has problems with
sub interpreters.

> This is precisely why WSGI doesn't really have any "configuration"
> defined, because the whole idea is that it should be as "plug-and-play"
> as possible.  Server-level configuration options are a liability to be
> avoided, a sometimes-necessary evil.  They aren't a feature.

Disagree.

First of all, I like to have configuration in one place.
The same for logging, since, as an example, a naive use of logging
prevents logs rotation.

Manlio Perillo