[Web-SIG] serving (potentially large) files through wsgi?

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Dec 18 22:00:06 CET 2007

At 09:50 PM 12/18/2007 +0100, Manlio Perillo wrote:
>Phillip J. Eby ha scritto:
>>>
>>>Disagree.
>>Note that your disagreement doesn't retroactively change WSGI's
>>design goals or rationale,
>

>I disagree with your "Server-level configuration options are a
>liability to be avoided, a sometimes-necessary evil" phrase.

As I said, that doesn't retroactively alter the WSGI rationale.

>But now I'm not sure of what do you mean by "configuration".

I mean configuring the *server* to correctly run a WSGI application,
not the application's configuration.  For example, a server option to
control whether Range requests are supported would be an example of
"server configuration" - i.e., something to be avoided since it
forces a user to make a choice about something he or she may know
nothing about.

>>which are what I've been explaining.  Your desire for configuration
>>in one place also doesn't negate others' desires to simply drop
>>applications into a server with only the most minimal server
>>configuration possible.
>
>But some applications/middlewares *will* need some configuration;
>maybe they have safe defaults for configuration parameters, but my
>problem is: how should these configuration parameters handled?

That's not server configuration; that's application configuration.

>So, *all* the configuration (nginx server, application, middlewares)
>can be placed (and, IMHO, should be placed) in the nginx configuration file.

That's application configuration, and isn't related to what I'm
talking about.  Ideally, a WSGI server will "just run" any
application object it is given, without the *server* needing to be
configured (except for specifying the object to run).

Being able to specify how the application object(s) are created and
configured is indeed a nice feature to have in a WSGI server, and
that's not what I'm talking about at all.