[Web-SIG] Repeating slashes in REQUEST_URI, SCRIPT_NAME and PATH_INFO.

Robert Brewer fumanchu at amor.org
Mon Jan 29 05:44:46 CET 2007

Graham Dumpleton wrote:
> What is accepted convention for dealing with repeating slashes.
> Should any web server adapter leave repeating slashes in both
> SCRIPT_NAME and PATH_INFO, or should it at least normalise
> SCRIPT_NAME so that it matches the designated mount point.

The URI BNF allows for empty path segments, so a doubled slash has its own distinct meaning. And since "the designated mount point" is so designated by the URI, I would think one should leave doubled slashes in. IMO this certainly applies to PATH_INFO, although I could understand someone writing a server that normalized SCRIPT_NAME (and telling its users it was limited in that way).

Robert Brewer
System Architect
Amor Ministries
fumanchu at amor.org