[Web-SIG] entry points, etc

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Sat Jul 7 05:55:11 CEST 2007

Incidentally, something that would be nice with wsgiconfig is if we
could all agree on how to specify things like entry points and objects.
  Specifically Paste Deploy uses egg:Distribution#ep_name, and
zc.buildout uses Distribution:ep_name.  And Paste Deploy defaults to
ep_name=main while zc.buildout defaults to ep_name=default.

Paste Deploy uses "entry_point_type = object.name" when you aren't using
an entry point, but I'd like to switch to just "object.name" with an
optional "object.name [ep_type]".  This helps out those people who have
some hangup with writing their own setup.py.  So having a clear way to
distinguish between an object reference and an entry point reference
would be ideal.  I still would prefer the entry points, as they make it
easier to search the system for providing objects and easier to handle
backward compatibility, but I don't have any reason to *require* entry
points in my code generally.

--
Ian Bicking : ianb at colorstudy.com : http://blog.ianbicking.org
             : Write code, do good : http://topp.openplans.org/careers