[Web-SIG] Can't we all just get along? (was: Re: wsgiconfig design)

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sun Jul 8 16:59:08 CEST 2007

On 7/8/07, Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:
> Is "zc" a brand?  It seems reasonable that namespace package names
> should reflect organization names.  If that makes them too brand-
> laden, then how should people pick namespace names?  Should we pick
> random letters? Should I use namespaces like "python", "web", or
> maybe "nice"? ;)

I believe Marc-Andre *did* pick random letters (unless he has a secret
nickname which I'm not aware of :-).

To me, "zc" is a lot less brand-laden than "zope". I would assume
"zc.frobnobulate" was simply a frobnobulation module written by
someone at Zope Corp, while "zope.frobnobulate" sounds like
fromnobulation support for the Zope framework. Is that not your
experience?

> Aside from the more general issue, in the context of web software, I
> hope we can reuse each others components without having to rename
> everything.  What a waste of time that would be.  Does this have to
> be so political?

I hope not. I hope the web framework developers can see beyond this.
Maybe your post is helping. But I fear that the general public (or
relative outsiders like myself) will have instinctive responses to
these things that are hard to change.

PS. Where do people meet for drinks in the Reval Hotel in Vilnius tonight?