[Web-SIG] Web Site Process Bus

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Jun 25 23:52:13 CEST 2007

At 04:42 PM 6/25/2007 -0500, Ian Bicking wrote:
>Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>>At 02:28 PM 6/25/2007 -0500, Ian Bicking wrote:
>>>Potentially a Zope-style minimal event framework would
>>>work.  Maybe something like:
>>>
>>>   send_signal(signal_name, signal_data)
>>>   subscribe(signal_name, listener)
>>That was what I was wondering, too, except I was thinking it would
>>be sufficient to use entry points for subscription, but only invoke
>>the entry points whose modules are in sys.modules.  In other words,
>>never actually import a module in order to invoke a callback.  That
>>way, subscription is a natural side effect of importing the modules
>>that contain the listeners.  Something like:
>>def send_signal(group, name, *args, **kw):
>>     for ep in iter_entry_points(group, name):
>>         if ep.module_name in sys.modules:
>>             ep.load()(*args, **kw)
>
>I don't think that makes sense for this case.  The way I imagine using it is:
>
>class MyApplication(object):
>
>     def __init__(self, db):
>         self.db = db
>         subscribe('reload_resources', self.reload)
>     def reload(self, data=None):
>         self.db.close()
>         self.db.open()

I guess I wasn't clear.  The point is that the approach I'm
suggesting allows event subscribers to be decoupled.  A library could
have an "on_reload" function, for example, that references a
library-specific event system.  Some frameworks, after all, are going
to have their own event systems.

So a bridge from the bus to zope.event, for example, could just
create objects and notify() them, and frameworks that are okay with
depending on zope.event can use that.

>That is, I subscribe one particular thing when it is applicable, not
>because the library is on the system.

That's why the code I suggested only invokes entry points that are
*already imported* -- i.e., that someone is using.