[Web-SIG] more comments on Paste Deploy

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sat Mar 3 16:21:28 CET 2007

I'll respond in a high-level way.

I believe, we're evaluating Paste Deploy at 2 levels:

1. Can we agree on a standard set of entry points so that WSGI
applications can be combined automatically?  I think Paste Deploy
provides at least good start on this.

2. Do we want to reuse it's configuration syntax.

You haven't commented on the entry points defined by Paste Deploy.
Do you have an opinion on adopting the entry-point API defined by
Paste Deploy?

On the subject of configuration format, I suppose this is a matter of
taste.  I strongly prefer having fewer configuration files,
preferably one.  One of the things I like about zc.buildout is that
it lets me gather my configuration in one file.
The configuration format used by Paste Deploy is a simple standard
format used by many many systems inside and outside the Python
community.  This makes it easy for people to learn and understand.
Obviously, we can agree to disagree on this.

I'd very much like, at a minimum, to agree on the entry point API so
we can more easily collaborate on interoperable applications,
middlewear, and servers.

Jim