[Web-SIG] [Proposal] "website" and first-level conf (was: more comments on Paste Deploy)

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Mon Mar 5 18:14:55 CET 2007

On Mar 5, 2007, at 9:16 AM, Sidnei da Silva wrote:

> On 3/5/07, Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:
>> For production deployments, we (Zope Corporation) install files into
>> the *real* Unix tree where site administrators want them.  We'll
>> typically have a deployment that includes a number of applications.
>> The deployment will create directories in /etc, /var/log, and /var/
>> run, where the applications in the deployment put their
>> configuration, log, and run-time files.  They may also put files in
>> places like /etc/init.d, and /etc/cron.d.  The point being that this
>> looks nothing like a traditional Zope instance installation.
>
> How do you see that mapping to win32? There's no '/etc', '/etc/init.d'
> equivalent would be the current 'zopeservice.py', and '/etc/cron.d'
> equivalent would be 'scheduled tasks'. I believe '/var/log' could be
> replaced by logging to the 'nt event log', there are lots of tools to
> work with that. That still leaves '/etc/' and '/var/run' in the air. I
> guess they could just be right into the application directory?

We don't deploy to win32 and I don't know enough about win32 to
answer.  I expect though that, like Unix, a production deployment is
going to look different than a development buildout.  In any case,
I'm pretty sure that the classic unix-mimicing layout has no
advantages for win32. :)

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org