[Web-SIG] daemon tools

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Mar 7 10:53:26 CET 2007

On Mar 5, 2007, at 12:25 PM, Joseph Tate wrote:

> On Saturday 03 March 2007 11:08:24 Jim Fulton wrote:
>>
>> Anyway, I share this for your consideration.  There are probably
>> better tools out there than zdaemon and supervisor2, but I'm not
>> aware of them. :)  I'm curious what other people have found or use.
>
> ll.daemon (http://www.livinglogic.de/Python/daemon/index.html)
> seems to be a
> straightforward and very simple library for core daemon functionality.

Ah, this was the one mentioned in the open-space talk.  This looks
very similar to a much earlier version of zdaemon.  A disadvantage I
see with it is that it requires modifying a Python application to use
it.  We moved away from that model with zdaemon, which can wrap any
application.  We use it to make the spread daemon sane for example.
Does ll.daemon provide a monitoring process that restarts an
application process if it exits abnormally?

> Daemontools isn't very well respected by the SysV style initscript
> crowd, and
> vice versa.  That's an external non python dependency, and not
> commonly
> available.  Certainly not available on Windows.

Yes, I've heard similar things.

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org