[Web-SIG] more comments on Paste Deploy

Zbynek Winkler zbynek.winkler at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 13:50:16 CET 2007

On 3/7/07, James Bennett <ubernostrum at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/7/07, Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:
> > Aside from the universal configuration file issue, I think this would
> > be a terrific thing for us to focus on.  Something I hear a lot is
> > how much easier PHP applications are to deploy to hosting providers.
> > I would *love* it is Python had a similar story, even if only for
> > smaller applications.
> >
> > I'd love to get some input who know a lot about what makes deploying
> > PHP apps so easy.
>
> I've mostly been lurking because everybody here's quite a bit smarter
> than I am on most of the issues discussed, but in a past life I had a
> fair amount of experience working with and deploying PHP, so I'll
> throw in my $0.02.
>
> PHP is (or was, when I was doing it) "easy to deploy" largely because
> of two things:
>
> 1. mod_php.
> 2. Baked-in database libraries.

And the fact of a really simple 'hello world' that just works. Python
is dead simple for cmdline apps (print "hello world") but not for
webapps. And the fact that deploying python app often consist of
configuring the whole "everything" (if not building from source, or
even finding on the web what exactly one needs for the particular
situation) does not really help either.

> Everybody already knows that web-server setup is a wart for Python
> (and the discussion on that lately has been encouraging), so I won't
> dwell on it except to say that I live for the day I'll be able to drop
> my Apache -> mod_proxy -> lighttpd -> Unix socket -> FastCGI -> WSGI
> -> Django setup (this on a "Python-friendly" shared host, no less) and
> have a server configuration that's simpler than the blog app it runs.

That is exactly what I meant :(

Zbynek Winkler

--
http://robotika.cz/