[Web-SIG] windows, pywebd, webctl

Sidnei da Silva sidnei at enfoldsystems.com
Thu Mar 8 06:09:47 CET 2007

On 3/8/07, Chad Whitacre <chad at zetaweb.com> wrote:
>    - Almost all of the Windows discussion has centered on daemons
>      vs. services. Sidnei, et al.: what does a "native" Windows
>      filesystem layout look like for a web application? Is using a
>      self-contained Unix-inspired layout faux pas?

It depends on what you consider a 'web application':

 - If it's ASP or ASP.NET, it's just a bunch of files dropped in a
directory, just like PHP. It usually has it's configuration in a
'web.config' or similar in the same directory.

 - But typically (well, before IIS 7) a 'web application' was
recommended to be implemented as an ISAPI Extension. That's basically
a DLL that you register through the IIS Management Console.

I could envision an ISAPI Extension that you register for some file
extension (or for '*') and that basically delegates to Paste. Oh, hey,
that sounds like ISAPI WSGI [1][2].

[1] http://code.google.com/p/isapi-wsgi/wiki/ISAPISimpleHandlerDocs
[2] http://pylonshq.com/project/pylonshq/wiki/ServePylonsWithIIS
--
Sidnei da Silva
Fax +1 832 201 8856     Office +1 713 942 2377 Ext 214